The 2030 General Plan (General Plan) establishes land use policies based on sustainable practices, such as infill and green building development. The land use policies of the General Plan, however, cannot promote changing long-entrenched development patterns when paired with outdated zoning and development regulations. A key implementation measure of the General Plan is to comprehensively update the zoning code. The proposed update, referred to as the “Planning and Development Code Update,” will result in a user-friendly document that provides predictable, clear and consolidated direction for development, and promotes sustainable development.
Given the scope of this effort, staff proposes implementing the Planning and Development Code Update in three phases to occur over the next three years:
- Facilitate sustainable land use and mobility through neighborhood design criteria, adaptive reuse of existing structures, and connectivity standards.
- Consolidate and add standards to improve water quality.
- Incorporate Crime Prevention through Environmental Design in design standards and guidelines.
- Update landscaping requirements to reduce water usage.
- Update urban park requirements.
Phase I Discussion Papers (White Papers)
Staff has developed a series of white papers to provide more information and encourage discussion on proposed changes. The white papers are considered a “living document”, because they may change as a result of the discussions and feedback.
- Structure of Code
- New Zone Districts
- Review Process
- Use Categories & Definitions
- Incentives for Green and Infill Development
It is anticipated that community outreach will commence in early 2012. No meetings are schedule at this time.
Commissions and Council Workshops and Hearings
The public is encouraged to attend and provide comments during the “public comment” period of workshops and hearings.
City Planning Commission Workshop (No action will be taken.)
Thursday, December 8, 2011, 5:30 p.m.
New City Hall – Council Chambers
915 I Street, Sacramento, CA 95814
Your Questions, Comments, and Input
Send your questions and comments to SacGDC@cityofsacramento.org
Teresa Haenggi, Associate Planner